Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

The Gandalf Downstairs: Part Five

(Part Four: http://commaopinionated.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-gandalf-downstairs-part-four.html)


5 weeks for the results of the test but only 2 weeks till the follow up – I was dazed, confused and a bit emotional. My plans for the rest of the day was to spend it at the USP Library, furiously studying, and drop by the office to film. Turns out I had a fancy newly discovered companion to join me on my adventures in life – and then there was me trying to find the humour in it all and hoping I didn’t have to pay extra bus fare for it.

By the time the follow up check came around, I’d already shared the horrific experience of my first pap smear with anyone who stopped long enough to listen. I figured I had a duty to let people know how important getting checked was.

I’d also decided that I’d like to use the word vagina as often as possible.

Vagina. Vagina, vagina and vagina. You’re welcome.

Anyway, along came that fateful Monday. Before 8am, there I was again – outside the Wellness Clinic, ready to pick up my referral note from the doctor who has stood in the doorway of the examination room to spy a look at the Gandalf Downstairs.

I had to wait about 20 minutes before receiving the stapled note and heading off to find the Lancaster Ward. I had my partner with me – because there was no way I was going to go see a doctor without some emotional support – and at the ward we sat for almost 2 hours before my name was called.

I was a little tired and a lot nervous when it came time to go one-on-one with a new speculum. I’d somehow lost a bit of weight in the 2 weeks that had passed and I was ready to be told the little finger wizard was going to come out.

(Part Six: http://commaopinionated.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-gandalf-downstairs-part-six.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment