Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

The Gandalf Downstairs: Part Eight

(Part Seven: http://commaopinionated.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-gandalf-downstairs-part-seven.html)


I did go home and cry – but I good cry. A happier cry. A less scared and nervous cry. As awkward as it was having a doctor talk throughout a check-up does help. It also helps when they walk you through what they’re going to do and what’s going on. I had had to little of that in 3 weeks. All I wanted to do was release all my nervous, anxious energy and it just so happened to fall out of my eyes.

I may be pretty anxious most of the time, but this time I was just stubborn enough to follow through and I’m sure that’s what more people need to do. If you have a pap smear, go back for your results. If doctors find something while you’re seeing them for something else, go for your follow up.

Heck, as I found out it’s enough just to call the clinic with the right dates and numbers to refer to and you can get an answer over the phone. I had a nice nurse check my number and my file who read my report number back to me.

“And then put one N at the end,” she said.

“N?”

“Yes, for normal.”

“Oh, okay. Cool. That’s good news.”

I laughed awkwardly, we exchanged pleasantries and I went about the rest of my day.

I know it’s hard to not be intimidated by medical stuff. I know the public health system is frustrating and slow and painful. I know that you get sick with something new every time you go to the doctors (I managed to pick up a cold that left we struggling to use my nose for 4 days after my time waiting around). But it doesn’t matter how hard.

There are so many easy excuses to brush off a check-up and there are so many circumstances where going to the nearest health centre is actually a mission and a half – we need to keep ourselves well and those around us well.

If you have a daughter, a sister, a mother, an aunt, a friend or whoever – support that woman in your left to get herself checked (and, of course, everyone else!).

(Part Nine: http://commaopinionated.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-gandalf-downstairs-part-nine.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment