Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

I wish I had normal dreams

Now today, I dont want to share about what goes on in my head when I sleep. That stuff is a bundle of boring and only ever rotates between video-game induced fever dreams (where I do my dailies even with my eyes closed and computer off) and other wacky things. Today I share something from the deep dark of “when I was growing up”.

I was constantly asked what I wanted to do when I grew up. Why? I dont know, early career counseling or something... because the subjects you take in primary school affect the rest of your life apparently. But I never really knew.

I first wanted to be a race car driver. Or so I have been told. I dont blame 4 year old me, cars are pretty damn cool. I love driving but unfortunately I dont have real access to a vehicle so I just chastise bad drivers in my head, usually when Im in the back seat of one. Then, too lazy to do homework, I threw that dream away and decided on chicken farmer.

That dream didnt last long. Neither did the plan to be a lawyer, pharmacist, vet, doctor, vet again, teacher and then artist.

In my second last year of high school, I got to actually study the arts. Well, ART. A doodler my whole life, I never thought I would get to go to a class where I was allowed to draw and imagine worlds and everything else. I had drawn a few comic series in my time because there was always something happening in my head. But to be given the space to study it... I was so happy.

I had almost gotten permission to apply to art schools but I stopped all overseas application processes when I found out my mother was having breast cancer tests. I stayed here at home to help out and got a degree in two things I figured I would never really use: politics and journalism.

That said, I now find myself in a newsroom desk at a magazine, occasionally getting send out to do stories for the online news website. And everything considered, I dont know why I didnt opt for studying writing sooner.

Yeahm, sure I love drawing, making comics and books and such with my hands but the planning process, the development of the world, everything and anything. I even wrote a book. A friend in high school, the only person who got me to actually go to the city library, would read all my crazy scribblings.


Thank you, dear friend. Thanks for the encouragement and everything else. Now take a break from Canada so we can catch up again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment