Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Tags on tags on tags

I was tagged on Facebook to write about books and games - a top ten roundup. I spent quite a while double-checking and so forth so why not share it on the place where I do all my writing anyway? Yay!


Ok since I have been asked to write about my top 10 books AND top 10 games, I'm lazy and am only going to do a half-half on games and books because who said you can't like both.

Books:

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden: I read this book to death. I no longer have it because I read it so many times and now all the pieces of the book are missing. I loved it like a crazy person. Initially obsessed with anything Japanese, I was drawn into the book but stayed for the characters.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes: A diary-style novel about science on the brain and how we treat human beings, hope we value those we love and what it means to be brain-type smart. I cried when (spoilers) Algernon died. Why you do that to my heart, Keyes? So much foreshadowing.

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett: super-duper girl power from the amazing mind of Pratchett. In a country proud of its militarism (by those who get to talk about it), was interesting to be put in the shoes of girls in war in a less depressing way than most books. Also a lot about femininity and the notion of a higher calling that was kinda cool. Idk. It was my first Terry Pratchett book.

Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore: about politics and media on Capitol Hill. Also with some rom-com features and a neurotic female protagonist, I was hooked on her quirky nature, her constantly brink-of-death fish and the love story part that poked fun at love stories.

The Door to December by Dean Koontz: This is on the list as the first book I destroyed. Koontz was one of my favourite authors growing up for I-have-no-idea-why reasons and this book also no longer exists in my possession. A story about science mixing with the occult, the love and care for human beings and the need to protect children... I dont know, it's just one of my favourites.

Honorable mentions: Some short story about a girl being married to a Banyan tree, The God of Small Things and all the Adrian Mole books (I love you, Sue Townsend).

And now, Games:

The Sims. Tomodatchi Life. Any game I get to play God. I love sim games with people in it. I don't know, maybe it's my OCD or something or the other but I intensely love games where I can make perfect people but then mess with their lives. Also, make all the babies!

Banished, Civ 5 and SimCity. Also (awkwardly) Dream House Days by Kairosoft. City builder sims I felt needed their own mention because they're not about people per se, but rather about efficient system management. I deserve an award for town planning. Or maybe I dont. Please don't ask about how my Banished village is doing.

Dragon Age and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Okay, so I adore the Dragon Age Series, no matter what people say about Kirkwall. I love the immersion and the massive scope of the world. I feel like Fire Emblem goes along with this because of the party relationship building that happens. I, like the crazy person I am, put way too many hours into fixing Alistair and Anders as well as fixing Chrom and finding all the different relationship stories in Fire Emblem. I am a crazy person.

World of Warcraft. Okay, I am an awful MMO gamer. I hate playing with other people but just like Dragon Age, the world is expansive and huge, the story rich and the experience addictive. I had taken a short break from rogue-ing because I have a lot of work to do but hey, it's a thing, right?

Don't Starve. It's the only “scary” game I've been able to play and massively feeds on my OCD. I build my camp as guided by my OCD, set up farms and I think I've played a 100+ day game and eventually stopped because I was losing sleep. Goddamn you, Klei.


Honorable mentions: Scribblenauts (because everything is fun when you're riding a huge, rainbow pooping duck), Pixel Dungeon (the only game on my phone) and almost everything in the Final Fantasy franchise (which didn't make the official list because I didn't play them, I watched my brother play them growing up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment